For our second year in a row, we will be partnering with I Am C.U.L.T.U.R.E.D. (IAC), a nonprofit organization based in Brooklyn, on a trip to Ghana in 2020! During this 7 day journey, students will be immersed in the music, art, dance, nature and history of a region many African-Americans called home centuries ago.
We will also be partnering with Africa With Us to create an opportunity for our group to participate in a service project while in Ghana. And one lucky student will receive a travel scholarship to attend and serve! The scholarship will be open to 10th-12th grade students who demonstrate financial need, academic excellence/potential, and would benefit from the exposure of international travel.
Dates: August 19-26, 2020
- 10th-12th grade students (apply here)
- Professionals interested in volunteering for our service project (applications coming soon)
- Ground transportation
- All activities in Accra and Cape Coast
- A cultural workshop weekend presented by I Am C.U.L.T.U.R.E.D.
The trip does not include passport fees or required vaccinations. Flights leave from JFK airport in Queens, NY.
An example itinerary is below. (Subject to adjustments)
- Day 1: Leave USA
- Day 2: Arrive in Ghana. Check in. Brief Orientation. Akwaaba welcome performance and dinner
- Day 3: Morning Yoga or Dance Session. Accra City Tour. Dinner and Relax.
- Day 4: Web Dubois Center Tour. Make your own Batik Fabric and Cooking Class. Dinner and Relax.
- Day 5: Head to Cape Coast. Check into Hotel. Community Service Project. Evening entertainment/dinner.
- Day 6: Kakum Park Tree top climb excursion. Lunch. Cape Coast Slave Castle visit. Bonfire and reflection.
- Day 7: Return to Accra that morning. African Dance on the beach. Relaxation Day. Last minute souvenirs.
- Day 8: Leave for USA
SERVICE TEAM INFORMATION
The service team is comprised of adult professionals who lend various areas of expertise and skills to our service project in Ghana. The service team also serves as chaperones for the students for the duration of the trip.
Our project beneficiaries are:
The Spread Out Initiative (Nima/Accra)
Abundant Grace School (Cape Coast)
We are currently looking for:
Computer Software/IT Professionals
+ more to come!
Note: Professionals from all industries are welcome to apply for the trip!
SERVICE TEAM APPLICATION DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 16, 2020
STUDENT DEADLINE: JANUARY 31, 2020.
Apply now on the I Am C.U.L.T.U.R.E.D website!
Purpose Driven Passports will be providing at least one need and merit-based scholarship for a student to attend this year's trip! The scholarship will be open to 10th-12th grade students who demonstrate financial need, academic excellence, and would benefit from the exposure of international travel.
SCHOLARSHIP DEADLINE: MARCH 1, 2020