We're so excited and thankful to be able to offer travel scholarships to New York City students this year! We have one scholarship available for a trip to Ghana with I Am C.U.L.T.U.R.E.D. (IAC), a nonprofit organization based in Brooklyn. The scholarship is open to 10th grade students in New York City, who demonstrate financial need, academic excellence/potential, and would benefit from the exposure of international travel.
The trip will take place August 15 - 22, 2019, and the scholarship covers flights, meals, ground transportation, accommodations, and all activities. It does not cover passport fees or required vaccinations. Each student traveler will have an I AM C.U.L.T.U.R.E.D. journal to document their trip. Nightly forums are held in the hotel/villa to ensure that the traveler is retaining what they experienced that day. There is a community service project that the traveler will also partake in.
A more detailed itinerary is below. (Subject to adjustments)
- Thursday Aug 15th: Leave USA
- Friday Aug 16th: Arrive in Ghana. Check in. Brief Orientation. Akwaaba welcome performance and dinner
- Saturday Aug 17th: Morning Yoga or Dance Session. Accra City Tour: High Street Jamestown. Kwame Nkrumah. Independence Square. Art Center. Dinner and Relax.
- Sunday Aug 18th: Web Dubois Center Tour. Make your own Batik Fabric and Cooking Class. Dinner and Relax.
- Monday Aug 19th: Head to Cape Coast. Check into Hotel. Community Service with the School Children in the afternoon. Evening Entertainment and Dinner.
- Tuesday Aug 20th: Kakum Park Tree top climb Excursion in the Morning. Lunch. Then Cape Coast Slave Castle Visit afternoon. Bonfire and Reflection in the Evening
- Wednesday: Aug 21st: Return to Accra that morning. African Dance on the Beach Session and Relaxation Day/Last minute Souvenirs.
- Thursday: Aug 22rd: Leave for USA