We're so excited and thankful to be able to offer travel scholarships to New York City students this year! We have one scholarship available for a trip to Ghana with I Am C.U.L.T.U.R.E.D.(IAC) The scholarship is open to 10th grade students in New York City, who demonstrate financial need, academic excellence/potential, and would benefit from the exposure of international travel.
The trip will take place August 15 - 22, 2019, and the scholarship covers flights, meals, ground transportation, accommodations, and all activities. It does not cover passport fees or required vaccinations. Each student traveler will have an I AM C.U.L.T.U.R.E.D. journal to document their trip. Nightly forums are held in the hotel/villa to ensure that the traveler is retaining what they experienced that day. There is a community service project that the traveler will also partake in.
A more detailed itinerary is below. (Subject to adjustments)
- Thursday Aug 15th: Leave USA
- Friday Aug 16th: Arrive in Ghana. Check in. Brief Orientation. Akwaaba welcome performance and dinner
- Saturday Aug 17th: Morning Yoga or Dance Session. Accra City Tour: High Street Jamestown. Kwame Nkrumah. Independence Square. Art Center. Dinner and Relax.
- Sunday Aug 18th: Web Dubois Center Tour. Make your own Batik Fabric and Cooking Class. Dinner and Relax.
- Monday Aug 19th: Head to Cape Coast. Check into Hotel. Community Service with the School Children in the afternoon. Evening Entertainment and Dinner.
- Tuesday Aug 20th: Kakum Park Tree top climb Excursion in the Morning. Lunch. Then Cape Coast Slave Castle Visit afternoon. Bonfire and Reflection in the Evening
- Wednesday: Aug 21st: Return to Accra that morning. African Dance on the Beach Session and Relaxation Day/Last minute Souvenirs.
- Thursday: Aug 22rd: Leave for USA
Please note, if selected you will need to provide additional information to the IAC team, including medical history, insurance and parental consent to attend.
If this sounds like the experience of a lifetime for you or a student you know, please click here to download an application and submit it along with the required letters of recommendation to email@example.com.DOWNLOAD APPLICATION